It’s no secret that many things can impact your roof's lifespan such as the climate where you live, the type of roofing materials used, and unexpected events like storms and flying debris. It’s good to have a general idea of how long your roof system will last so that you can choose the best roof for your home in Southeastern Florida.
At Panda Contractors, our goal is to give you the knowledge you need to make your roofing project a breeze. Let’s dive in.
Lifespans of Different Roof Options and Materials
Roof systems come in all shapes and sizes, and each has its own unique advantages and drawbacks. Some last longer than others and are more resistant to different elements and forces. Panda Contractors is here to help shed some light on the various roofing options:
- Asphalt Shingles: On average, asphalt shingles will last between 20 and 30 years. These are one of the most popular roofing options due to how affordable and convenient they are. However, they do have some of the shortest lifespans.
- Flat Roof Systems: There are many different options for flat roof systems, including mod bit, built-up roofs, EPDM, PVC, TPO, and more. Depending on which one you choose, you can expect it to last between 20 and 50 years on average.
- Metal Roofing: Metal roof systems generally last between 40 and 70 years. They can sustain high winds, impacts, fire, and UV rays, which make them a great choice for homes throughout Florida.
- Roof Tiles: Tile roof systems are attractive and durable. They last 40 to 50 years on average when well maintained. While they can hold up in inclement weather, tiles can still break down over time due to extreme weather, high winds, and more.
- Wood Shakes: When properly installed and maintained, a wood shake roof can last between 30 and 50 years. Generally, maintenance will need to be performed every two to four years to make it last even longer.
What You Can Do to Lengthen Your Roof's Lifespan
There are plenty of ways to make sure your roof system lasts as long as possible. A lot of what it boils down to is maintenance. When properly maintained, a roof system can last for decades and decades.
Here are a handful of things you can do to make sure your roof stays in peak condition for as long as possible:
- Clean Your Gutters
- Remove Leaves from Your Roof
- Trim Overhanging Tree Branches
- Keep an Eye Out for Any Vulnerabilities or Issues
- Perform Routine Maintenance Checkups
- Dislodge Built-Up Snow
- Check Your Attic Ventilation
Get in Touch with Our Southeastern Florida Roofers to Learn More Today
There is one more thing you can do to keep your roof system in top shape—and that's choosing a reliable and qualified roofer. Luckily, you’ve already found the best roofing company in Southeastern Florida! At Panda Contractors, we come to every job with 40 years of experience under our belt as well as BBB accreditation and status as a GAF Master Elite Contractor.
Are you ready to take your roof to the next level? Give us a call or fill out our online form to schedule a free roof inspection with our team today.
Subscribe to Panda Contractors's Blog